How to keep young people safe in sport
We are highlighting 8 ways in which clubs, organisations and activity providers can help keep young people safe in sport.
- Attend a Safeguarding & Protecting Children workshop to learn about preventing and managing situations that might constitute poor practice or abuse.
Follow this link to view Safeguarding & Protecting Children Workshops
2. Involve young people in planning activities so they feel respected, valued and listened to, and to create an environment of open communication and trust.
3. Make sure young participants know what to expect and what to do if they are worried, unsure or unhappy.
Follow this link for information and advice from Childline
4. Use anti-bullying resources and create an ethos where bullying behaviour is not condoned and is effectively dealt with.
Follow this link to access anti-bullying resources
5. Follow good practice in taking and sharing photographs of children in sport, safe recruitment, and staffing and supervision ratios.
Follow this link to view safeguarding resources
6. View a webinar on keeping children safe online, safeguarding disabled children, eating disorders, or safeguarding LGBT young people.
Follow this link to view relevant webinars
7. Encourage parents to play their part and raise awareness of the crucial role parents have in helping a child enjoy their sport and reach their full potential.
Follow this link for information on engaging parents
8. Know where to go for help and advice if you are concerned about the welfare of a child.
Follow this link for Safeguarding contacts
Do you have a question about safeguarding?
Safeguarding and Inclusion Officer
- Tel: 03000 412140
- Email: email@example.com
Part time - usual working days are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
"Besides supporting my children's various activities, I love a high energy exercise class like Zumba or Combat. The music makes it feel like a party!"
Events and Programmes Manager
- Tel: 03000 412044 / 07920 585492
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"Running, netball and golf are my go-to activities, preferably when the sun is shining! parkrun has been a game changer, keeping me motivated every week."